Green Your July 4th Celebration
July 4th is a time to celebrate, and NBC will be doing so in style, along with Kenny Chesney, 5 Seconds of Summer, Meghan Trainor, Pitbull, Sara Bareilles and many others at this year’s Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular, live at 8 pm ET. While you’re preparing for your own party or BBQ, keep these tips in mind to make your holiday a greener one:
- Forty percent of food in the U.S. ends up in landfills. Reduce your food waste by saving and freezing leftovers instead of throwing them away.
- If you’re grilling, consider using propane instead of charcoal to cut down on your carbon footprint.
- Instead of paper or Styrofoam plates, dish up your meal onto reusable or biodegradable plates.
- It may be hot, but if all your guests are outdoors, there’s no keep the air conditioner on. Make sure to turn it down or off.
- And while you’re at it, don’t forget to shut off power strips to cut down on phantom energy.
- If you’re tuning in to the fireworks on NBC, save energy by turning off the lights while the TV is on. (And isn’t it better to watch fireworks in the dark?)
Happy July 4th!